Thursday, June 28, 2012

Prensky Chapter 4: Always Be Real (Not Just Relevant)

What is the difference between real and relevant? The difference between real and relevant is a simple concept. It means simply that we as teachers are keeping the content and delivery modes relevant to our student’s interests. If we as teachers are able to do this, I feel we will be able to reach our students on a deeper level. If we keep our teaching relevant we the students will not only see “the point” in learning the content but have fun while doing it! How can I always be real? It is extremely important as a teacher to always be real. To accomplish this, a teacher has to try to make his or her lessons and units as relevant to the students as possible. We have to strive to incorporate aspects of our students lives to keep them motivates and interested. As a physical education teacher this past year I did a Video Games Active Unit. I was able to bring in my Wii and Xbox Kinnect and share them with my students grades Pre-K thru 8th. That day, I set u a few stations, some utilizing the systems and some not. The students were able to move around the stations with their small groups and participate in physical activities. It was great to see all my students enjoying themselves! How can I teach for the future? I can teach for the future by always remembering the as a teacher I am a lifelong learner. I have to stay up to date on what is relevant to my students and their interests. I can do this by attending conferences, staying abreast of new developments in my field and of course by taking an interest in my students likes and dislikes. As we know CHOICE is very important. Allowing our students to have a choice in what they are learning and how they relate that information to one another is key to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment