Thursday, June 28, 2012

Prensky Chapter 6: Using Technology in Partnering

The Prensky Apostasy believes when it comes to technology in the classroom the teacher is the guide and the coach, never the user. The "Prensky Apostasy" basically states that teachers should allow their students to be the ones using the technology rather then the teacher herself. I think teachers and students can learn from each other. I do agree that yes, the students should be using the technology in the classroom to learn. Since students are children of “today” they usually know how to use many of these technologies, but in my opinion, in some cases the students do not know. It is the teachers responsibility to incorporate the proper use of technology to keep students engaged. Teachers and students should work together to investigate new technologies and use them to better themselves. During my time as a teacher I have always agreed with administration that cell phones are a distraction. Distracting us and the youth of this world from “real life” and what is going on right in front of them. I never really allowed my students to use their cell phone in class except for the occasional, “I forgot my calculator, can I just use my cell.” I never thought about incorporating cell phone into my lessons until I read this article. After reading, I completely agree with the article. I think that as a partnering teacher it is very important to use the tools our students use. Many cell phones that our students have are like a small computer, being able to access all internet website. Some even have word processing application on them! What about the students that don’t have those capabilities in their phone? Or better yet, what if a student does not have a cell at all? I love the idea behind this, but to be honest I am still a little torn on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment